Planning and Community Development
The Lawrence County Planning Commission members and staff are committed to systematically organize, lead, direct, educate, and administer planning as required by the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code, so as to maximize the economic, environmental, and social development of Lawrence County and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
What does the Lawrence County Department of Planning and Community Development do?
We provide professional planning and technical assistance to Lawrence County’s 27 municipalities in a variety of land use activities, including:
- Comprehensive Land Use Planning: Our goal is to provide the citizens of the County with pertinent planning data in an understandable form in order to facilitate intelligent land use decision-making and policy formulation.
- Ordinance Development: We are available to assist in the creation of any type of land use regulation, which includes zoning ordinances, subdivision and land development ordinances, overlay zoning district regulations, floodplain management ordinances, stormwater management regulations, sign ordinances, and conservation-based ordinances.
- Land Development Reviews: The land development review process for the County includes site plan reviews, subdivisions, rezoning, special exceptions, variances, and future land use map changes. We also manage other land development regulation processes related to natural resources and public facility concurrency management project reviews.
- Training and Education: The Department holds monthly meetings in which the public is invited to attend. We offer assistance with land, transportation, and ordinance issues, and are available to provide training programs to local officials related to planning, zoning, subdivisions, land development requirements, enforcement issues, and much more. Call us to set up a training session!
- Transportation Issues: We provide traffic volume/classification counts and speed study services to local municipalities, developers, and commercial and/or industrial enterprises.
- Grant Assistance: We are staffed to provide assistance in researching, applying for, and administering grant and/or loan programs to our 27 municipalities.
The Lawrence County Department of Planning and Community Development reports to and is directed by the Board of Commissioners. The Lawrence County Planning Commission reviews all plans, development proposals, and provides recommendations to the Board of Commissioners.
Our offices are located in the Lawrence County Government Center at 430 Court Street, New Castle, PA 16101. You may also contact our office by phone at (724) 656-2144 or email: email@example.com
Documents Available for Public Review
Public Notice is hereby given that the Lawrence County Commissioners will hold a public hearing on the Draft Lawrence County Affordable Housing and Implementation Plan and the Draft Lawrence County Multi-Modal Corridor Study on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 8:30 a.m. at the Lawrence County Government Center, 1st Floor, Commissioners Meeting Room. The purpose of this public hearing is to solicit comments from Lawrence County residents regarding the Draft Lawrence County Affordable Housing and Implementation Plan and the Draft Lawrence County Multi-Modal Corridor Study. The Draft Lawrence County Affordable Housing and Implementation Plan and the Draft Lawrence County Multi-Modal Corridor Study are available for review to the public during regular business hours at the Lawrence County Government Center, Commissioners Office and are also available below.
Meet our Department
Contact Info for Department:Lawrence County Department of Planning and Community Development
430 Court Street
New Castle, PA 16101
Phone: (724) 656-2144
Fax: (724) 656-2151