Salary Range: $48,000.00
How to Apply: Applications are submitted online until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. A resume is required with the application.
A resume may not be substituted for an application.
Minimum Requirements: A high school diploma AND five (5) years experience in security operations in a medium/maximum security facility to include progressively higher levels of supervisory responsibility. Satisfactory completion of a training course in direct supervision management, interpersonal communications, and unit management, along with specialized training in emergency response requirements, fire safety, and sanitation requirements are also required. Applicants with a college degree are preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
It is the policy of Lawrence County that in order to receive a final offer of employment, candidates must successfully pass background checks as required for the position.
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Major, the Captain is responsible for ensuring the overall safety, custody, and security of the inmate population, staff, visitors, and the public. The Captain is also responsible for maintaining facility-wide operations and security, supervising all security staff during shift operations.
- Inspects the facility daily to ensure conformity with policies, procedure, and general operational guidelines.
- Processes a variety of documents and reports in performance on the job such as time sheets, requisition, evaluations, daily reports, and incident reports.
- Ensures that the housing units comply with security guidelines.
- Performs supervisory tasks in all aspects of the job including instructing, assigning, and reviewing work, planning, maintaining standards, coordinating activities, allocating personnel, making recommendations for transferring, promoting, and disciplining.
- Performs other related duties as required or requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Correctional custody principles, practices, methods, and techniques
- Laws and legal requirements relating to the operation of correctional facilities
- Methods and practices of correction facilities to include individual and group attitudes and behavior of inmates
- Prison rules, regulations, and requirements for control of inmates
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to supervise security staff